Wednesday, February 2, 2022

How to Balance Career & Mental Health: My Conversation with Megan Fairchild: Ballerina, Best-Selling Author

 

One of the very best traditions of the winter Holiday season is to attend the New York City Ballet production to experience George Balanchine’s The NutcrackerⓇ ~ it just whispers legend and folklore and fantasy.  

In that spirit, as I’ve noted in some of my recent social media posts, you can understand why I had my heart set on showcasing a ballerina on my Ladies Who Lunch Conversations during the holidays. 


I was in pursuit of the magic of ballet and its ability to sprinkle us with its fairy dust and transport us to dream worlds.  I felt it in my bones that this was most especially needed in the time of a pandemic.  Art transports us… 


How did the Ladies Who Lunch Conversation come about?  Through a good friend, of course.



I reached out to my artful, über-talented, elegant, adored friend Philip Neal who was a principal dancer with New York City Ballet.  (You must Follow Philip on social media, if you don’t already. Wonderful stories.xoxo) In years past, I had the distinct honor to see Philip in many outstanding performances, including Jewels and the Ballet’s first performance after the September 11th attacks on our beloved Gotham in 2001 ~ that I was honored to attend with his husband, my friend, Reginald Fairchild. Tears flowed. My heart ached at the ardent, artful triumph. It is in times of trouble that I often think we most need our art.  Don’t you?  


Given Philip’s kind heart, love of his craft, and support for his fellow dancers, it was no real surprise then that Philip recommended Megan Fairchild, principal dancer at New York City Ballet to be a Ladies Who Lunch Conversations guest. 


Megan is perfect!  She is the Sugar Plum Fairy! The essence of holiday ballet magic...


I learned that not only is Megan an extraordinary talent and a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet but she is also the polymath I claimed her to be after our interview.  Wow! 

Megan is such an inspiring woman!  She is the sublime archetype for what the Ladies Who Lunch Conversations mission is.  

Megan is a mother of three, (with a pair of twins!), a wife, a podcaster, a Broadway star, an NYU Stern MBA Candidate, a devoted daughter, friend, and an author.

It was a  privilege to share my Conversation with Megan. If you haven’t already viewed the Conversation, please do. 

Applause, Applause! (Or why not go for an encore performance!) We all have so much to learn from Megan. 

We talked about her challenges, both personal and professional. 

She really puts herself out there. 

Discover how her book came about. How Meditation is her kind of “Unicorn Space.” And more….


When I suggested to Megan during the Conversation/interview that she might consider an autographed book giveaway; she was so generous ~ and readily agreed.


So here’s the deal: Please subscribe to Garden Glamour blog here, or my GardenGlamour Instagram or Ladies Who Lunch Conversations on Facebook (link above). Or, all three! 

I’ll choose the lucky recipient from the new Followers, at random, and Megan will send you her very special and inspiring book, The Ballerina Mindset. You can also purchase directly via this link or purchase wherever you get your books. 


Dreams do come true…  



And stay tuned. I have a lovely, exciting Ladies Who Lunch Conversations bonus coming soon.

My first-year Ladies inspired me so much that I couldn't help but create a special way to honor them... (smile)


Garden Kisses to all.


*Ballet photo and video courtesy of NYC Ballet Facebook and Megan's YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment