Saturday, January 29, 2022

My 2021 Reading Journey ~ Books I Love and Recommend

 

Snow Storms and Books Go Together Like Patience and Fortitude.

It’s a whopper of a blizzard here ~ we’re getting pummeled by snow and wind. 

Therefore I figured it’s a good time to share what I think is an exciting list of books for you to consider reading. 


Despite being blessed with an oversubscribed schedule, I found more time for books last year. I say it this way ~ being blessed with work ~ because especially in a time of the pandemic, I do indeed feel gratitude for being able to do work that I love and that brings value to others. 

That’s a luxury. So is reading. 

As a writer, I often bemoan that I’m too busy working to read as much as I want. Only on vacation was I truly able to feed my insatiable appetite for books: to scarf up, devour books. 

But during the last year, I found or carved out a “sweet spot” combination of audio books I listen to on my daily “Wellness Walks,” hardcover, and Kindle editions. 

Last year, I became intoxicated with books. 

What to read, you ask? 



You can go to my Goodreads page for the full list of recommended books. 

I like how Goodreads tracks the books I’ve read from my “Want To Read” shelves and migrates them to the “Read” bookshelf. Thank you. 

Goodreads is the hub for book lovers!  

I’ve done book giveaways for the books I’ve authored.  I participate in giveaways for authors that I follow. I like to see the advance reviews and copies.

You can also become my Gooddreads Friend while you’re there.   

I’d love to learn if we share books in common…. And learn of your recommendations.


Last year, I contributed to the voting for the Goodreads Choice Awards 2021 

It was fun, informative and, even just reviewing the list of nominees, I was introduced to some terrific reads that made their way onto my bookshelves. 


In 2021, I also renewed my New York City Public Library card. (And contributed/donated some money to help pay for all their benefits. P.S. ~ Libraries need our support in lots of ways…)  

I love having the digital access to books and audiobooks; I’m now listening to Bourdain, The Definitive Oral Biography .  

I really had no idea… There’s all the sex, drugs, and drama, but I also discovered his brilliance. His talent. Am I the only one who didn’t know he wrote for Treme? I loved that series.  

I interviewed him back when I was covering food and drink for The Examiner and he was a brand advocate/partner for Balvenie (his first), having just launched the “Raw Craft” Video Series. I was hoping he didn’t ask me anything about his shows or books because I hadn’t seen or read anything he produced (!). The interview changed my mind about him and what I thought I knew of him. I was smitten. I have since come to really enjoy his “No Reservations.”  

And I plan to read “Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.”  

While I truly enjoyed all the books I read last year, a few were standouts. 

And yet… as Neil Gaiman said,“Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose.”
So, I won’t go there. Ha.
I will say though, that I am a card-carrying Richard Powers groupie (smile).  

Overall, I enjoyed a good mix of memoir, cookbooks, fiction, some dystopian novels, and some environmental thrillers. I think my choices were a reflection of my taste and also of the times ~ mainly climate chaos and the pandemic.

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” Maison Cooley.


If you stayed put last year, did you get into a reading formula? A place and time where you read? What was your reading companion?  A pot of tea? A good glass of bourbon?

I hope you agree that this past year was a watershed book year. For a variety of reasons. So many authors had the time to write. So many of us readers had seemingly an abundance of time to indulge in reading. 


I hope that the year ahead is one where your dreams come true. And that you enjoy the transporting magic of reading books… 


Neil Gaiman ~ “A book is a dream that you hold in your hands.”

** And here's a Book Bonus ~ I'll give/gift a signed copy of my book, "Art of the Garnish" to a lucky book lover. I'll draw the name from new subscribers to my Garden Glamour blog - just click the button in the top right corner :)  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment