Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Uncovered ~ The Story Behind The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Grand Floral Urns

 

Even before I was a Member, I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art  frequently.  Some might say with abandon…

If I was looking for inspiration while writing or if a new show premiered, or I just had to see the rooftop exhibits with their extraordinary installations and that heart-stopping vista of Central Park and beyond, why, I could hop on a subway near our home at Union Square and be at the Museum in about 10 minutes; transported to other worlds…

And I always, always was enticed by the magnificent, grand urns in the museum’s lobby and their breathtaking floral displays.  

I took their photos every single visit. It was a mystery to me that their beguiling looks were always changing, too.  


But it wasn’t until just the other day that I learned of their origin story. 



While I could never resist these luscious floral designs and the floral art ambiance they bestowed, I wasn’t sure if it was just me and my garden passion that drew me to these breathtaking beauties.  What was their story? 


Then I read this background account in Ephemeral New York!   


When you walk through the front doors of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you enter a Neoclassical lobby that's an architectural treasure in its own right—with dramatic archways, a marble floor, and a ceiling that seems to soar to the heavens.


(photo: Met Museum) 

But amid the coolness of the stone and marble, there's a feature of the museum's "Great Hall" that adds an aura of warmth and life: the giant urns that contain beautiful oversize fresh flower arrangements.


These lovely blooms change weekly; they tend to reflect the seasons. And just like every work of art displayed at the Met, there's a story behind them.


The flowers were the idea of philanthropist Lila Acheson Wallace. In the late 1960s, she funded an endowment that would allow Met administrators to purchase and display weekly "starburst" flower arrangements throughout the lobby.


"An ephemeral addition to an otherwise timeless space, the florals change every Tuesday thanks to the generosity of a single donor, Lila Acheson Wallace, whose endowment in 1967 funded fresh flowers in perpetuity," reported the New York Times in 2016.


Wallace herself reportedly wanted the flowers to convey to visitors, "we're expecting you—welcome."


Wallace, who with her husband founded Readers' Digest in 1922, was a major benefactor of the Met. Museum-goers may recognize her name above the entrance to the Lila Acheson Wallace wing, which opened in 1987 to exhibit modern art.


Though she passed away in 1984, her endowment continues to grace the Great Hall and bring a sense of the present to a building famed for its antiquities.


A grand thank-you to philanthropist Lila Acheson Wallace and her generous endowment to the Met Museum (I sooo want to be a philanthropist ^:^) 

Wallace’s vision to ensure the welcoming floral arts is most appreciated. 

I for one have deep gratitude that we can all enjoy these great “starburst” floral displays in grand urns and I appreciate the artful luxury. While most of us can only dream of having such displays at home, they are nevertheless inspiring. And welcoming, as Ms. Wallace intended. 

This is a good hostess tip for all of us, no matter how humble our home or office.  Display fresh flowers!  It will welcome your guests and make your own heart sing with joy. 

Just look at this design that my dear friend, EunYoung, Kinka New York’s  floral guru brought to me yesterday.  It’s so beautiful it makes one weepy with overwhelming, sublime admiration.  I love it! 

And thank you to Ephemeral New York for highlighting this bit of history.  I look forward to your weekly emails and enjoy your historical Gotham research and references.


Mystery solved. 

We can luxuriate in the Met’s fresh, glamorous floral displays in perpetuity.


My only quest now is to discover what the Museum does with the previous week’s flowers..

Any guesses??


(The urn photos here were taken by me.)

1 comment:

  1. I believe in your love for flowers. I too have flowers in my home as one enters. Thank you for all the info of the Museum, I enjoy reading your columns.

    ReplyDelete